Skip to main content

Can Pessimists Be Happy?

 

Image shows a smiley face drawn in sand.

Today is International Day of Happiness. We're The Productive Pessimist; those two things may seem to be completely at odds.  

Can pessimists be happy?  Isn't pessimism essentially a guarantee of lifelong discontent?

Pessimism is actually more likely to create a state of calm, enduring happiness, because pessimism prevents unrealistic expectations from being built into believable ambitions.

Pessimists have dreams, like everyone else, but they are grounded in a realism that has been subjected to often quite extreme analysis. Just because a dream doesn't make it through this analysis, it doesn't mean a pessimist can't or won't indulge it; sometimes, it can be pleasant to play with a dream which we know won't go anywhere - after all, if the dream is acknowledged as impossible, we can enjoy our ideal of it, without any risk of having to encounter the downsides which come with any dream.

Dreams which make it through a pessimist's analysis much more readily become goals - focused efforts, rather than passing diversions.

Diversions cheer us up. Focused efforts, even when we don't achieve them as we'd hoped, are what creates stable, enduring happiness.

The things which give me greatest happiness are the things I have had to work at;

. My marriage - which is a daily endeavour, requiring maintenance, attention to detail, self-sacrifice, and no small amount of lateral thinking.

. My writing - I haven't achieved the success I'd like with it yet, but I enjoy it for itself. I used to care about getting 'noticed', and, ideally, published - now, I don't. I work on making sure I'm saying something sensible, I work on presentation and tone, I work on other ways of presenting my thoughts.  And it's this aspect of work which brings happiness.

. My pets - I have several pets; dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, and a hamster.  All of them require a great deal of work to care effectively for them, and, in the dogs' case, to train them to be safe and acceptable in public. The work is often challenging, sometimes frustrating, but it's the work of having pets that means their presence makes me happy.

. My work - building The Productive Pessimist from very literal scratch is challenging. Often, it is challenging to the point of mental exhaustion. But, when I have work to do with The Productive Pessimist, I'm happy - very likely because of the challenges it presents.

There's also the fact that, because pessimists assume the worst, we notice and value the best when we experience it. Those who take for granted the fact that things will go well for them are often unhappy, because they assumed something which was causing them happiness would endure, and became frustrated when it ended - as passing things which make us happy always will.

Some pessimists are always unhappy - but not because they are pessimists. 

Most pessimists, like most people, can experience times of unhappiness.

Some pessimists never really feel either happy or unhappy - they exist in a state of unremarkable neutral.

How can Productive Pessimism improve happiness?

Productive Pessimism is a technique, a cognitive tool. As such, one of the ways it can be used is to improve your own happiness.

1. Identify whether you are unhappy, or discontent.
Unhappiness is an emotion - you feel it in your chest and stomach primarily.
Discontentment, in contrast, is a cognitive state - you feel it in your mind first, although it can spread to your chest and stomach.

2. If you are unhappy, then use the Productive Pessimism Process to identify why you are unhappy.
The Productive Pessimism Process:
a) State the feeling, then question it from several angles: eg; "I am unhappy.  Why am I unhappy?  How am I unhappy?  When did I start feeling unhappy? Where am I feeling the unhappiness most in my body?  What helps with/exacerbates the unhappiness?" Make notes of your answers, keeping the questions separate.
b) Question the answers to the questions from step a).
Eg; Answer to the question 'Why am I unhappy?' - 'I am unhappy because I'm struggling at work' - "What am I struggling with at work?  When did I first notice I was struggling?" Again, write down your answers - and make sure you question each of the answers from every part of step a).
c) Review your answers. Using different colours, or particular symbols, or whatever kind of system works for you, sort your answers to step b) into the following categories:
1. Things I can't influence
2. Things I can partly influence
3. Things that are fully within my control

Throw away everything that comes under column 1.
For the items in column 2, identify what support, resources, etc, you will need to have more influence.
Establish a plan for working through the remaining items, from column 3. Don't try and work on all of them at once - spread them over anything from 3 weeks to three years, depending on how many things you have on your list.

The Productive Pessimism Process provides you with focused work, which, as we've discussed, helps create happiness.  It reduces the number of things you have to worry about - which is known to improve happiness. It reaffirms your sense of competence and control, which has been proven to be central to ongoing happiness.

If you'd like guidance in working through The Productive Pessimism Process for your own life challenges, then your best option would be to book a 1hr consultation via email; this gives you three email exchanges for just £45 - one for each step of the process.  To book, simply email us - theproductivepessimist@yahoo.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheese Graters, Suitcases, and Cover Letters

Hi - my name's Ash, and I'm the co-founder, Director, and lead consultant for The Productive Pessimist. (And, as you can probably tell from my 'Resting-What-Fresh-Hell-Is-This?-Face, the reason why the company is called The Productive Pessimist  in the first place!) Apologies for the face, by the way - I'm not that good-looking at the best of times, and I hate doing selfies! I also don't take very good selfies anyway, owing to significant visual impairment. (I'm registered blind, and losing what sight I have - left eye only, currently around 45% - a bit more rapidly than I'd like.) However, the terrible selfie that starts this blog post sets us up nicely for a segue into the main topic; How the heck do these rules work, anyway?! The 'rules' for succeeding at interviews, in work, when you launch a company, in the first three years of running a company, are basically the equivalent of riding a bike. Except the bike is missing three gears. And the chain

What's Love Got to do With It?

  Do you love your job?  Do you love your life? What would you most love to do? What's your heart's desire for your business, yourself, your family? Other coaches talk a lot about 'love'.  Every other piece of professional advice tells you to 'find a job you love.' What do they actually mean when they use 'love' like this? Clearly, no one's suggesting you get into the same mindset around going to work Monday morning, sitting through yet another PowerPoint presentation, or organising the kids and arranging the online grocery deliveries as the thought of a hot date with someone who hits all your buttons, or a weekend spent in the company of your best mate puts you in.  And we're definitely not advocating that 'married to the job' should be a literal matter of legally-validated fact. You're not going to be serenading your office block, or sending a dozen roses to your project teams.  You're not going to be inviting your new hire out

What's Wrong With You?

  One of my personal frustrations is when people or companies say they want a slice of an absolutely huge pie, that's showing itself very well in just about every class - eg, a business sector that's romping all over the board, and bringing in profits with barely any effort - but then seem to find any and every reason to take as long as possible actually getting round to even picking up a plate! I go bodyboarding when I get the time. One of the key facts in that world is that, by the time EVERYONE is able to see a wave breaking, if you're not already riding it, it's too late. The same is true in business. Whether it's an individual or a company being a hesitant wallflower in the face of the ride of a lifetime, the motivation seems to be the same: they'll waste time on business cases, business plans, and, if they're an organisation, corporate governance. The prevailing attitude, certainly in the UK, often seems to be that business cases and business plans hav